Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pardon My Mess.....Work in Progress...

In the sculpture pictured above, (thanks to the artistry and permission of Kristina Higgins) the lovely and graceful creature appears to be emerging from confinement, almost as a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis of sorts. It reminds me of one being birthed from the clay, as though being transformed a bit at a time... It spoke to me, that while some of my rough edges have been smoothed by God’s grace and strength, He promises to see my transformation process through until the end. Not unlike an artist, His process sometimes requires some chiseling away of unnecessary stuff in my life. At other times he chooses to add things (blessings, even allowing sorrow, challenges disappointments) until I begin to resemble his Son. Sometimes it is messy, but I'm grateful that the Artist isn't finished with me yet!

I heard it said (it may have been in our reading,) that when Michelangelo was asked how he created his masterpiece “David,” he simply replied “I just chiseled out all of the stone that was not David.” I believe that our God is doing that very thing in your life and mine. He is carefully and lovingly removing from our lives all that gets in the way of us becoming the person that He has planned for us to be, ridding us of all those hurts hang-ups and habits that keep each one of us bound.

As we’ve been making our way through Life’s Healing Choices, I’ve been learning in a new way that the Transformation Choice requires that I lean into the work that the Father is doing in my life. It’s rarely neat, comfortable or easy, but I think that I am looking a little less like myself all the time... (and you are not looking too bad yourself !!!) Isn’t it comforting to know that the one who holds the chisel and tugs at our clay, is only good, and loves us so much as to see us not just as we are, but as we will one day be? Amazing… isn't it?

God who began a good work within you will keep right on helping you grow in His grace until His task within you is finally finished.
Philippians. 1:6

Until Next Time,
Peggy

No comments: