Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lost in the Stuff.......

What's missing? Or more accurately.... WHO is missing? Yes... the main character in the Christmas story, the one this holiday, this Birthday is named for was no where to be found! I unpacked my favorite little nativity set. I bought it years ago at a little bookstore in Kent when I was in college. I liked it first of all for it's primitive carved appearance, and for the fact that the pieces were unbreakable. I wanted all children who visited to feel free to move the pieces around without fear. My nieces and nephew have enjoyed them over the years, and I enjoy unpacking this each year and giving it its place of honor on my mantle.

When I opened the boxes and tissue yesterday I put up the little shed, the 3 kings at a distance, sheep, the shepherd, the donkey Mary and Joseph and then I noticed that Someone was missing. All of the pieces EXCEPT for baby Jesus in the manger were there. I went riffling, certain that finding this tiny piece might be futile. I unwrapped tissue paper, looked in boxes of ornaments, in the Christmas CD box, the candle wrappings but to no avail. For the rest of the day and most of the evening I took glances at the incomplete nativity set. A gentle nudge in the form of a strong thought crossed my mind- reminding me that in all of my busyness with externals, I too can find myself losing Jesus "in the stuff" that our commercial and materialistic society tries to sell as Christmas.

Later in the evening I opened a bag of realistic looking pine roping. I remember scattering this around my nativity set last year. Pulling out a particular piece I smiled as I noticed what I had been seeking... wedged between a pine cone and some pine needles.
In this time of joy and celebration let's not forget to make time each day to reflect on this Jesus, whose Birthday we celebrate. It is my prayer that my focus and yours be on the Savior who is Christ the Lord, the One who left heaven on a divine mission to save us from ourselves. But let us not worship Him as some helpless infant in the hay manger, but remember instead that He is a resurrected and reigning King, high and lifted up and seated at the right hand of the Father. When I focus rightly in my worship, the things of this world grow extremely dim indeed and keep me from losing THIS Jesus in all of the stuff of this season.

May your Christmas be "complete" in every way! God's richest blessings to you and yours this Christmas.

And this shall be a sign to you: You shall find the baby wrapped in
swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. Luke 2


Until Next time,
Peggy



2 comments:

I Play Outside The Box said...

Beautiful...well said!

Jeff Sivyer said...

Was He "pining" away for you? I agree with Carolyn - great insight and a real word to challenge us!