Saturday, October 17, 2009

Examination-Prescription for Freedom

You can see by the date on this prescription that I’ve been procrastinating again. I hope this can still be filled, because I have been walking around with semi-blurred vision. I've convinced myself that I can see “well enough” for now. Though they are badly scratched and the prescription has changed I have not yet gotten around to getting a new pair. There’s been one excuse after another. I find it curious that I have chosen NOT to act here, when doing so would certainly result in clearer vision and a much better quality of life.

Gratefully, I find my Father God speaking to me in the simplest of object lessons. He reminds me by gently pointing to areas (those hurts hang-ups and habits of my life that we’ve been learning about in our series on Life’s Healing Choices, and most recently for me on the subject of the spiritual self-examination inventory. ) Seeing my old script stuck on my bulletin board reminded me today, that I sometimes go through the motions of spiritual examination too, when I fail to follow through on the Great Physician’s recommendations. It is comforting for me to remember that God’s examining is for the purpose of bringing freedom and wholeness to my life, but I sometimes forget that it is also for the purpose of action on my part! Just as my eye doctor expected that I would do my part to remedy my vision through filling the script that He personalized, God too expects my cooperation, and the best part is that He longs to give me the power to will and to do it!

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing he will be blessed in what he does. James 1:22-27

By the way…I am planning to fill that prescription THIS week! (I wish the rest of my “stuff” were as easy to address!!) May we each purposely lean into this process of honest inventory, and cooperate with the One who so lovingly examines our hearts. May each of us remember that our Father can be trusted, and that He has all the power needed to move us forward, to a better than a "good enough" life, to that ABUNDANT life of healing and freedom that He so longs for us to find.

Until Next Time,

Peggy

1 comment:

Jeff Sivyer said...

I see! Sorry, couldn't help it. :) Great insight and a challenge for each of us as we follow through on God's promptings to look more closely at ourselves and then invite Him in to heal!