Sunday, July 19, 2009

Words for the Worried


In our present economy it is all too easy to worry, to yield to anxiety about how we will make ends meet. We ask ourselves: What will happen if I lose my job? My health insurance? What if I can't pay my bills? What will I do about retirement?

Budget cuts are creating a lot of uncertainty in my workplace. I'm sure many of you can relate. I have to admit that as a woman, whose natural bent is to strive for some sense of financial security, lately I've been succumbing to some anxiety and worry. It is not God's intent for His people to worry. He knows that worrry makes us sick and is evidence that we are lacking in faith. Because people have worried for hundreds of years about one thing or another, Jesus' message from Luke 12, in the form of an object lesson speaks loudly into our lives and is particularly relevant to us today. Being the birdwatcher and gardener that I am, Jesus' teaching speaks very personally to my own heart. I hope that it speaks to yours as well.

Consider the words of Jesus. He said: "Do not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food to eat, or enough clothes to wear. For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. Look at the ravens. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them, and you are far more valuable to him than any birds! Can all of your worries add a single moment to your life? Look at the lilies of the field how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet King Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? And don't be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don't worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need."

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus-
Philippians 4:6-7
Until next time,
Peggy

No comments: