Wednesday, April 1, 2009

~ I Learned it from the Grapevine~


It’s at my eye level on the shelf just above my computer, and lately it’s been simply a holy irritation. It’s a branch from a bunch of grapes long gone. It sits there dried and claw like. I placed it there intentionally to remind me of my verse, the one I prayerfully chose as a personal challenge for 2009. It reads:

“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5

Yes, this dried up thing has been causing me some irritability, but this has proved to be a good thing. You see, for some reason I seem to need the continual reminder that in my own strength and ability I can do no good thing that will remain for eternity. Sure, I possess some natural and learned abilities that I can call upon in some aspects of leadership. Yet sadly I must confess that all too often I find myself leaning too hard on these things rather than humbly and dependently drinking from the only true life source of strength, love, wisdom, creativity, peace, and joy (along with all that I need ) to insure choice and lasting fruit.

Abiding… it’s a word we don’t use too much any more, but a powerful one I think. I liken it to a purposeful stilling of myself in worship, prayer and bible reading,- just being with the Father so that a spiritual transfusion of sorts can take place. I see it as letting Him empty me of my sinful self, while infusing me with more of Himself. Another word picture that always comes to mind is of a developing child in utero. A true picture of abiding I think-connected, dependent and nourished through that vital umbilical life line.

Though I have word pictures and a dried up branch as reminder, why then do I repeatedly find myself worn out, lacking love, and serving all the while with a prideful martyr-like attitude with all of its huffing and puffing? Why must I get to that ugly place before I remember to stop and go to the Father for filling and “re-hydration” in His presence?

How grateful I am for God’s forgiveness, and for His gracious second and seventy-third chances! How grateful I am that He has grafted me, this simple branch to Himself, the true sustaining vine!

So, I guess if I need an ugly dried up old grape branch on my shelf to remind me to keep my regular time with God, then, so be it! Oh yes... also,... if you ever notice my fruit looking less like grapes and more like raisins,I personally give you permission to kindly but firmly remind me of where I need to go!!

Till Next Time,
Peggy

Visit the Grove Church Website


Read other Grove Church Blogs

1 comment:

christine said...

Great picture and word sister. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you since you wrote...think of you often. seems like we have been pretty busy with lots of good things...just not alot of time to respond. love to you.